Friday, March 13, 2009

MIRRORS WORK I - INITIATING INTIMACY WITH MYSELF



I once sat in front of a mirror and told myself everything about myself I hid from others. I even told myself about those things I pretended to hide from myself. I spoke without judgement. It was a matter-of-fact, spoken out loud, honest revealing of myself to myself about myself.


As I spoke, I felt an energetic weight lift. The more I revealed to myself about myself, the lighter I felt. I always assumed I already knew these things - but there was a part of me that felt uncomfortable - neglected - ignored - because I never told it anything. I never let myself in. No one taught me how to let myself in...


I slept so well that night and awoke the next morning with a wonderful sense of lightness - a sense of spaciousness. I felt closer to myself after that. For the first time in my life I felt like I was actually my friend.


I am my friend. I am my best friend. No matter who comes and goes I am always going to be around. Now, I trust myself with my deepest secrets. However, I do not know this to be true unless I speak to myself every day as if this is true. So, every day I go to the mirror and speak to myself. When I forget to, when days go by without a chat, I notice a dulling in my experience.


Contrary to what we are led to believe - speaking to ourselves is a healthy sign of sanity.


Once we real eyes the significance of speaking honestly with ourselves daily, we are amazed [and amused] at how much time we have wasted speaking to others about matters only we have the capacity to impact.